Welcome to my World of Business Education!

This blog is my journey into the world of Business Education from student to teacher. Like the world this blog will evolve as I continue to learn and make that transition. Hopefully you will find something interesting and helpful. In return please feel free to join in with thoughts, ideas, comments and suggestions as I am just beginning that journey after spending the majority of my life in the business world.

Sunday, February 24, 2008

My Thoughts on Effective Assessment.....

Since I'm a new teacher Dr. Michels has got me thinking quite a bit about what effective assessment actually is. In my opinion it is basically something that gives feedback to both the student and the teacher.

From a student's perspective they gain important feedback from both summative and formative assessment. For this assessment to be effective it needs to inform the student, whether it is positive or negative feedback. The same can be said for the teacher, the feedback they get from assessment is what will help them decide if they need to regroup, move on or change their teaching method.

For teachers constantly assessing their students can help lead to a successful classroom as students will be taught the content that needs to be worked on and students will not be rushed forward into new content. If they are rushed there could be big problems leaving the student farther and farther behind as the school year moves on. Effective assessment can stop this problem from occurring in the classroom.

So in my opinion effective assessment is the use of both summative and formative assessment strategies in the classroom that will benefit the students learning as they continue to move forward in the classroom.

No comments: